Thursday, March 8, 2018

WANTED: The Perfect Font

The search for the perfect font begins!
For guides, I looked to Smashing Magazine. An article about "5 Principles for Choosing and Using Typefaces". The article mentions that font represents the information stated in the text. The text may be well written, factual, and intriguing, but without a proper font to go with it, the message will not get the recognition it deserves. Font provokes emotions as well as reflects on the personality of the article/magazine.
In a fashion magazine, font has a large impact to the magazine's overall atmosphere. The feeling i'm going for is simple, yet youthful. In order to make a font simple and professional, you must relay on hard edges and clean lines, but add a twist to make it more youthful. Where could one find such a font?
Pinterest to the rescue! Using the 60 available pins on Stoklosa's folder on Media - Print, I found various new sites which offer a variety of fonts. After filtering through tons of fonts, I've narrowed it to these five:

I'm untimely between the second and third font. Both are from the TM Vinograd font-family.
To pick a final choice, I believe that the second form of Stagger will better suite the title of my magazine as well as the theme of the magazine. It is clean, mature, but also very youthful. Exactly what I wanted.
Coming into this assignment I was very nervous and worried that I would spend a ridiculous amount of time finding a font I wouldn't even love. Learning to manage my time and to limit the options to 5 top ones really helped ease the progress. I feel confident in my choice, which was not something I expected to say.

Citations:
>What Font Should I Use? 5 Principles for Choosing and Using Typefaces. (2010, December 14). Retrieved March 07, 2018, from https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/12/what-font-should-i-use-five-principles-for-choosing-and-using-typefaces/
>Media - Print. (n.d.). Retrieved March 07, 2018, from https://www.pinterest.com/tstoklosa/media-print/
>Fresh Free Fonts 2017 For Graphic Designers | Fonts. (n.d.). Retrieved March 07, 2018, from http://graphicdesignjunction.com/2017/02/free-fresh-fonts/
>TM Vinograd Free fontfamily. (n.d.). Retrieved March 07, 2018, from https://typemate.pro/tm-vinograd

No comments:

Post a Comment